A sexual assault or sex crime allegation can significantly impact your life. When you face these charges, consulting a Waldorf sex crimes lawyer should be a priority. These allegations can immediately affect your employment, personal relationships, and reputation, even if you are innocent. With the assistance of a skilled defense attorney, you can challenge the charges against you and protect your rights.
It can be overwhelming to face a sex offense charge without legal representation from someone who understands the relevant laws and procedures. Early action can help protect your rights and minimize the impact on your life. When you retain legal counsel early on, the attorney can thoroughly investigate the charges against you and begin to build a defense.
Types of Sex Offenses
In Maryland, sex offenses include misdemeanors like solicitation and violent felonies like rape. When the police accuse someone of a sex crime, it is crucial to retain a trusted Waldorf attorney to help fight the charges. Common sex crime charges include:
- First-degree sexual assault: a sexual act committed using force, a weapon, or the threat thereof and rape of someone under the age of thirteen.
- Second-degree sexual assault: sexual acts committed by force or threat and statutory rape of someone unable to consent.
- Third-degree sexual assault: nonconsensual touching committed under certain circumstances, including when the victim is cognitively impaired or when the perpetrator uses a dangerous weapon, inflicts serious physical injury, or is aided or abetted by another in committing the crime.
- Fourth-degree sexual assault: a misdemeanor charge involving sexual contact without the consent of the other.
- Child pornography: photographing or filming a minor engaging in an obscene act, abuse, or other sexual conduct.
- Federal sex crimes: in addition to state charges, someone accused of a sex crime could face federal charges, which include mandatory minimum sentences.
Regardless of whether someone faces a lesser misdemeanor or a serious felony sex crime, they should consult a knowledgeable Waldorf lawyer before making any decisions about the case.
Penalties for Sex Crimes in Waldorf
The penalties for committing a sex crime in Maryland are serious and can permanently alter the defendant’s way of life. It is important to put forth a strong defense, as sex crime convictions can lead to lengthy prison sentences and require lifetime registration as a sex offender. These consequences can lead to lifelong difficulties in obtaining employment and housing after release from prison.
The legal penalties for sex crimes in Maryland vary according to the crime and severity of the charges. For example, someone convicted of a fourth-degree sexual offense would face a maximum of one year in prison. On the other hand, someone convicted of first-degree sexual assault could face life in prison.
It might make sense to negotiate a plea deal with prosecutors depending on the charges. Under some circumstances, the prosecutor may be willing to reduce the charges and let the defendant avoid sex offender registration. A seasoned local attorney could discuss legal options for dealing with a sex offense charge and help determine the best strategy.
Work with a Waldorf Sex Crimes Lawyer to Build a Defense
Whether you face a misdemeanor or felony sex crime, the conviction could carry prison time and require you to register as a sex offender. When you are under investigation or arrested for an alleged sex crime, contact a dedicated defense attorney as soon as possible.
A Waldorf sex crimes lawyer at the Law Office of Hassan B. Ahmed, LLC, is well-equipped to handle your case and tirelessly defend your rights. We will advocate for you by telling your side of the story and working to minimize the impact of the charges on your life. Call today to discuss your situation and get legal help.